Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Friday, June 15, 2012
Saturday, June 9, 2012
Thanks to Helen A. Howell for bestowing The Kreativ Blogger Award upon my flash fiction blog, Liminal Fiction. In accordance with the rules of receiving this honor, for which I'm quite grateful, here are ten little facts about me, followed by five new award recipients of my choosing:
1) I love to eat chicken wings. Any American city where I’ve spent any significant amount of time, I ask around about what restaurant or pub makes the best wings, and I try out a few places. My favorites are in Charlottesville, VA at St. Maarten Café, where some years ago I spent every Tuesday evening for their ‘double wing night’ for a year straight. I was crushed when I learned recently that Maarten’s (as we called it) closed, but then was very happy when it reopened under the ownership of its longtime managers shortly thereafter. It’s comforting to know that it’s there whenever I pass through that gem of a town.
2) I’ve lived for varying lengths of time in Los Angeles, Ann Arbor, Athens (OH), Charlottesville, and New York City in addition to Philadelphia, where I’ve spent most of my life.
3) I’ve visited various cities in England, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Mexico, Columbia, Peru, Chile, China, and UAE.
4) I’ve been playing soccer (football, of course, everywhere outside my dear USA) since I was five years old and still play on a team with a great bunch of guys who are all younger than me here in Philly.
5) I love playing poker and writing about poker.
6) I’ve just begun a fourth round of edits / rewrites on a sixty thousand word novel that I really want to stop editing and rewriting, but won’t let myself until I truly feel it’s my best work. I started writing the first draft in February 2007. A lot of the story revolves around poker in relation to micro capitalism.
7) I enjoy many different styles of music, including jazz, funk, reggae, hip hop (mostly of the Roots / Black Star / Common okay player + late ‘80s and early ‘90s commercial varieties), and rock from Dylan and Waits and Cash to today’s Raconteurs and Black Keys to name just a few.
8) Politically I try my absolute hardest to be as objective as possible. I was an Independent for years but recently became a Democrat only because the Democratic primary is the mayoral election in Philadelphia, and you cannot vote in a PA primary if you’re not a member of that party. To spell out the obvious implication of the previous sentence, a Republican will never defeat a Democrat in the general election for Mayor of Philadelphia, so the only say we voters have comes by voting in the always victorious party’s primary. If Independents could vote in primaries in PA, I’d still be one.
9) We just have two cats in my household, but I also love dogs and am an animal lover in general. Friends of mine in Philly have an obese pet bunny rabbit who they let roam free in the basement of their city row home, he seems to have a nice life down there.
10) Family is everything to me. My wife and daughter are the loves of my life.
Per above, here are five bloggers to whom I'll pass it in turn:
Anthony Venutolo for Bukowski's Basement
Tim VanSant for otoh
Justin Davies for The Flying Scribbler
Peter Newman for Run Pete, Write!
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Like many of my friends and millions of people I've never met, including President Barack Obama, I loved 'The Wire,' so this Maxim article was a pleasure to read. I'm sure a lot of Wire fans out there already knew the back stories on David Simon and Ed Burns, but I didn't, so learning about their creative roots was fascinating to me, as were nearly all of the blurbs included from various actors, producers, and others who were involved with this modern classic. If you like the show, check out this article (thanks to Anthony Venutolo for recommending it):
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Excellent Article on Social Media by Karthika Muthukumaraswamy @KarthikaM on @HuffingtonPost #facebook
A very well written article about the place of social media in all of our lives: