Pages

Comfy Couch

On a comfy couch in the corner seat, you snuggle with the world. Whatever else: the wars, the debt, climate change, you wrap your arms around it and feel the pain and stress and paranoia and squeeze tight so it can’t breathe. A movie, or two. Popcorn on the table, in and out of sleep, the occasional cigarette, a text message. Barefoot between carpet and tile, reaching into the freezer for Ben and Jerry’s, back on the couch eating straight from the carton.

You’re protected by cushions. You can fall asleep for the night and wake up in the morning and make breakfast and it won’t matter. Another text message, mindless chatter, the only kind you could stand at this hour on a small electronic gadget, if you must. Face to face we could go deeper, if we wanted, but most likely I’d be in the other corner, curled up in a ball, and we’d just laugh because we could do anything but all we’d want is the couch and the tv and snacks anyway.

But you’re there and I’m here and we each need to get through the days, separately, working our jobs and doing chores and telling our families we love them and once in a while meeting friends for drinks or dinner or both. You clean the house and wait for the moment when the long day yields, you’re on the couch again, knowing I’m out there on a couch somewhere too, the great world spinning as we grip our pillows and rest.

18 comments:

  1. Love the first sentence: "On a comfy couch in the corner seat, you snuggle with the world." Really sets the tone for the rest of the piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I had hoped the first sentence would grab people.

      Delete
  2. This was cathartic to read out loud, Richard, after a long day and passing through five states of frowning faces with an attempt at congeniality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John. So happy that this story helped brighten the end of your day, thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. This made me think of the children playing in synch in A Wrinkle in Time. Gods, it feels like the whole world is going through a spasm of mass-culture onset ennui this week. Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine, for reading and for your thoughtful comment and compliment. Please stop by again!

      Delete
  4. I read this twice. I loved how it touched on how we assimilate what happens around us and yet we still remain isolated in our own world, unable to or not motivated to do anything abut anything.

    Your writing as always, is very thought provoking Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I appreciate that you read it twice, and it's great to hear that you found it thought provoking.

      Delete
  5. For me, this is a very feel-good story, although I'm not a couch-snuggler myself, the images it projects are of warmth comfort and safety, although I sense a thread of sadness and isolation about the story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, thank you for your comment, and I love that you found such a variety of emotions within this tiny story.

      Delete
  6. I found this quite moving. I loved the deep feeling tucked into and behind the everyday. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are much appreciated, Peter, thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  7. Read while sitting on an office chair pretending it's a couch. ;) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lee-Ann! Thank you for reading and for your kind comment, hope to see you back here soon.

      Delete
  8. I like a good firm sofa that will support my back but yes, it's amazing how much of our 'down time' revolves around these furniture oases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the term 'furniture oases,' might have to borrow that one from you some time, Icy! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  9. "Connected" but wrapped in comfort at once...it's almost like you've been spying on me Richard. :)
    Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna, thank you so much for this comment. While I can assure you that I have not been spying on you, you've made my day because the suggestion of espionage tells me that you thought the writing in this story was realistic. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete