Pages

Numbers, Emotion, and Energy

To be just a number. A statistic. Perhaps it's all we can ever be, if that.

Some show less emotion than others, but emotion is always there somewhere. Some bury it deeper than others, but it's always there.

There's energy around us and energy within. Some have more than others and it's not necessarily consistent. It ebbs and flows.

Being that number each of us is, pushing against the glass ceiling of our world, we can channel that emotion, seek places to put that energy. None of it may ever make us anything more than a number, a statistic, but we'll feel that emotion and we'll use that energy until that day when we close our eyes for the last time.

7 comments:

  1. Ah yes, we are just a number among many, all we can hope for is that energy burst that sets us apart for a while. Lots to think about in this small piece Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure what this is about, but I AM sure I'll be thinking about it all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a prose poem? It reads well. I try to live robustly, when I have the strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No-one likes to be thought of as "Just a number", especially at work, but I guess, we are all statistics in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tad cynical, but well, and lyrically executed. I would rather think of numbers in terms of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number Two: The new Number Two.
    Number Six: Who is Number One?
    Number Two: You are Number Six.
    Number Six: I am not a number! I am a free man!

    Obscurish reference but that is my story and I am sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminded me a lecture I saw the biologist and science fiction author Peter Watt give once. It's up on YouTube somewhere, but he talked about how even though he knows how his brain and the rest of his biology works, subjectively he can't believe it. Yes, we have the numbers, and they're a good thing, but we have the wonder too.

    ReplyDelete